Welcome to the Opal Class webpage. Here you will find information about the school day as well as our topics and the curriculum objectives we are covering each term!
Miss Denning is the class teacher and our super teaching assistants are Mrs Di-Pisa and Mrs Smith.
Welcome back! We hope you have had a relaxing half term break. This term each class in the school is taking inspiration from a piece of music as the basis for their topic and literacy work. In Opal class we are going to be looking at 'Peter and the Wolf' by Prokofiev. See the class topic web and letter at the bottom on the page. Optional topic based homework will also be sent home soon, or you can access it by clicking the link at the bottom of this page.
In Maths we are going to be learning about place value and learning to count forwards and backwards to 100. We are also going to be regularly practising counting in jumps of 2, 5 and 10 as this helps us with lots of other things such as money and measurement. We will be learning more about length/height, time and 3D shape this term.
PE will be on Thursdays and Fridays. Please ensure that your child has a change of t-shirt, shorts (joggers can be worn during chillier weather) and suitable PE shoes (daps).T shirts should be white and shorts should be black.
Below is some guidance which will support you and your child in making good progress throughout the year:
• Asking them about what they have learned about in school that day.
• Discussing the topics that are being covered together.
• Reading about the topics at home.
• Visiting the library to find out more about the topics for the term.
• Bringing anything relevant into school to share with the class if your child would like to.
- Practising spellings (see the Year 1 Common Exception Words list at the bottom of the page)
- Counting in 2s, 5s and 10s.
However all children should be reading at home DAILY and bringing their reading records to school every day to change their books. Please sign your child's reading record each time they read at home, as this earns them points towards their reading certificates, which the children all love to get in Celebration Assembly. The children can change their reading books by popping into the reading book box in the mornings!
Ipads and iphones are a great way of engaging your children in learning in a fun way. Below are a list of apps you might want to look at with your child.
Chatter Topics for the Spring Term:
- What is pitch, rhythm and tempo?
- What musical instruments can you think of?
- What is the story of Peter and the Wolf about?
- Where was Peter and the Wolf set?
- Do you know anyone who plays a musical instrument?
- How do musicians know what to play next?
- What animals are in Peter and the Wolf?
- What different types of animal are there in the world?