Welcome to Onyx Class.
Mrs Harris and Mrs Unwin are the teachers for Onyx class this term. The class is supported by 2 classroom assistants in the morning, Mrs Pike & Mrs Bishop and Mrs Bishop will also help on some afternoons.
Everyday, during the morning, the children will have a Writing session which includes Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG), a Reading lesson (this may be Read Write Inc. or may be guided reading) and a Maths lesson. The afternoons are mostly focussed around topic - History, Geography, Art, Design & Technology and Science. Computing will be taught as a discreet subject for specific skills as well as being used in other subjects, as will 'Learn for Life' our Personal, Social & Health Education programme. There will be two RE days this term and a chance to share the Music learning from our Take One Note term in the spring.
• All children should be reading daily. Please ensure you sign your child's reading diary each time they read so that they can begin to earn points towards their reading certificates (which they love to receive during Celebration Assembly)
• Topic-based homework will be set and this is a great opportunity for you to help your child extend their learning at home.
For additional learning opportunities such as,
- practising handwriting - we are now all joining our letters in Year 2
- reading and spelling the Common Exception Words for Year 1 & 2
- times table practice for 2s, 5s & 10s
- instant recall of number facts to 20/50/100 for addition and subtraction
Please see the links below.
Summer Term P.E Times:
Monday and Tuesday will be our P.E. days. We will be doing dance, swimming athletics and striking and fielding. For our Tuesday lessons we are lucky to have and Up and Under mentor leading the session.
Please ensure that your child has a full PE kit which is left in school.
As always, if you have any queries, or you would like to have more information, please come and see us after school for a chat!
This term our topic is Paintings and Artists. We will be investigating the lives and works of famous artists, as well as uisng their work as inspiaration for our own creations. We will be writing stories, letter and poetry, focusing on descriptive language and super sentences. In Maths we will be looking at a range of topics, starting off with measures and mass and moving onto capacity, shape, position and direction. Science is all about animals and humans and then after half-term we will look at plants and seasonal change.