Welcome to Onyx Class.
Mrs Ford is the teacher for Onyx class this term, who will be covered by Mrs Unwin on a Tuesday when she is released from the classroom for leadership duties. The class is supported by 2 classroom assistants in the morning, Mrs Pike & Mrs Bishop and Mrs Bishop will also help on some afternoons. On a Monday and Tuesday this term we will also be supporting Miss Chamberlain, who is a student completing her teaching degree at Cardiff University.
Everyday, during the morning, the children will have a Writing session which includes Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG), a Reading lesson (this may be Read Write Inc. or may be guided reading) and a Maths lesson. The afternoons are mostly focussed around topic - History, Geography, Art, Design & Technology and Science. Computing will be taught as a discreet subject for specific skills as well as being used in other subjects, as will 'Learn for Life' our Personal, Social & Health Education programme. This year we are planning to teach the RE curriculum for 1 full day per term and Music will be taught in a Music week.
• All children should be reading daily. Please ensure you sign your child's reading diary each time they read so that they can begin to earn points towards their reading certificates (which they love to receive during Celebration Assembly)
• Topic-based homework will be set and this is a great opportunity for you to help your child extend their learning at home.
For additional learning opportunities such as,
- practising handwriting - we are now all joining our letters in Year 2
- reading and spelling the Common Exception Words for Year 1 & 2
- times table practice for 2s, 5s & 10s
- instant recall of number facts to 20/50/100 for addition and subtraction
Please see the links below.
Spring Term P.E Times:
Tuesday morning will be Games and we will also do PE on a Friday afternoon which will be gymnastics this term.
Please ensure that your child has a full PE kit which is left in school.
As always, if you have any queries, or you would like to have more information, please come and see us after school for a chat!
This term is Take One Note term. We will be using the piece of music called 'Peter and the Wolf' and seeing where it takes us! We are planning on focussing on wolves and having first hand experience of these on a trip to The Cotswold Wildlife Park. We will be writing letters, fact files and practising how to get our sentences full of interesting words. In Maths we will be introducing multiplication and division. Science is all about classification of mammals, birds, fish etc and a look at what animals eat.