On Tuesday 10th May, we are taking part in the Bags 2 School campaign.
What does this mean I hear you ask?
Bag2School is a free fundraising scheme established in 2001. They work in partnership with Schools, Business, Community Groups, Local Councils and Charities to help raise from donations.
So we would like you to have a MASSIVE clear out over the Easter holidays.
Please donate clothes, bags, shoes, jewellery, hats, underwear, belts and soft toys.
Do not donate bedding, duvets, carpets, towels, school uniform, off cuts of textiles or wet clothing.
Your child will come home after Easter with a 'Bags 2 School' plastic bag. You can fill this, along with other bags if you have lots, and return it to school on Tuesday the 10th of May. (Do not return it before this time though). On the day, the bag or bags can be left by the bike shed at school.
These will then be collected and for every kilo we collect, we raise 30P for the ECO Council.
WHERE DO THE TEXTILES GO?
All clothing collected by Bag2School is sold, either sorted or un-sorted, to importers and wholesalers in many countries of Eastern and Western Europe, Africa and Asia.
Regardless of whether clothes are given to charities, clothing banks, council collections or Bag2School this is where the goods are all sold. 80 % of discarded clothing goes for reuse as clothes and the other 20 % enters the recycling industry for bed manufacture, socks, blankets and the industrial wiper trade.
The only alternative to this is for the goods to go to a landfill site.
As a nation we throw away about 1,500,000 tonnes a year of clothes of which the textile industry handles around 300,000 tonnes, there are, therefore, over 1,000,000 tonnes still going to landfill sites. Bag2School is a good way to dispose of unwanted clothing, raise money for your school or a charity of your choice and provide a supply of affordable clothing. Bag2School is working with DEFRA on the Textile Roadmap Process for reuse and recycling and the newly formed RITE Group which is committed to sustainability and ethical production of textiles.
Since 2001 Bag2School has paid £25,000,000 to schools. 76.5% of our gross turnover in 2008 was paid to schools, 21% went on operating costs and 2.5% was profit.
The ECO council Bake off
I think we have found some little Mary Berry’s and
Paul Hollywood’s in our school!
We had 31 entries for our first ever ‘Corsham Regis Bake off’ and the standard of the cakes was amazing.. We had castles, ladybirds, a strawberry and a huge portion of fish and chips.
The ECO council happily munched their way through a selection of cakes and decided on their winners. The decision was based on the appearance and of course the yummy taste.
The winners are as follows (in 1st, 2nd and 3rdrorder):
Ezme Cooke, Jessica Moore and Benjamin Roynon
KS1 Big cakes
Richard Hancock, Brandon Carey and Francesca Di Pisa
Jemma Funnell, Danann Butler-Roche and Chanel Nicholas
KS2 Big cakes
Tanzy Weeks, Alanah Hynes and William Denton
In total we raised just over £70!
Certificates and prizes will be given out on Monday the 7th of March.
We now recycle all of the waste from the lunch time brown bags!
The brown bags themselves are recycled into the paper recycling bin and collected weekly.
The plastic yogurt and jelly pots are recycled back into the kitchen and cleaned ready to be re-used.
The plastic spoons are recycled into the plastic bin and collected weekly.
The un-touched food waste is recycled via the children and taken home for their guinea pigs or rabbits.
How about that for being ultra green!
Eco Council Successes 2014-15:
Electricity Challenge resulted in lights and computers being turned off when not in use
Heat energy being saved
Improved water usage following Wessex Water presentation
Reduced litter in the playground
Fund raising to improve the academy site
Green Games Day
Eco Action Plan